The ‘Australian Salsa Open’ is the largest competition in the Australian Latin Dance world, and a destination not to be taken lightly by anyone game enough to step up to this challenge.
The journey for all involved leading in to the event as well as throughout the weekend was turbo charged with emotions and adrenalin – WHAT A RIDE!! If you have never partaken in a competition it may seem entirely crazy to see the lengths that people go to in order to make this dream of artistic enlightenment a reality.To give some perspective, here is a brief list of what is involved:
- Training: 3 hours per session x 4 sessions per week = 12 hours min training per week
- Costumes costs : average between $200 - $1000 each
- Private coaching lessons with professional coaches: 1 hour week
- Sleep deprivation with trying to fit in work and training
- Disgruntled family members who you stop seeing for a few months
- Increased comradely between all team members
- Your dance partner becomes the most important person in your life, even if you have a wife/husband
- You sleep, eat, drink, speak, read, watch only Latin Dance.
… and somehow you love every minute of it!
Mitch & Ellicia
Winning the professional category, they qualify to represent Australia at the World Salsa Championships in Puerto Rico.
This couple have beaten all the odds, combated all limitations, worked their hearts out through blood sweat and tears to reach their winning dream.
This is truly a special moment for all of us, seeing Mitch who has been with us since his first beginner class, blooming to an artist of great quality and inspiration.
Pat & Marianne
Winning the pro/Am category.
A flawless connection spiced with sensuality and a hint of performance attitude, this couple made a mark on the stage with confidence and certainty.
MVP Pro/Am: Ulysses, Jasmin, Felino Rebecca, Chris, Martina, Pat & Marianne
Winning the pro/Am Teams category.
What a team! - this combination of 8 glamorous, talented and skilled dancers embody the true meaning of hot & Sexy!!
Felino & Rebecca
Winning the Semi Pro Latin category.
This pair stepped up and beyond with their performance bringing the ‘Latin sexy’ to life in a big way amplified with flawless technique and performance inspiration.
Christina Chia & Carolina Espinosa
Competing in a first time ever category of Amateur with a professional, learning the ropes one on one and stepping on the floor fully equipped and transformed.
There is something so wonderful about seeing a flower come to bloom.